A little bit Laura Ashley? A little bit Diana? I’m of course talking about those puff sleeves. Somehow they don’t seem that big in photos but wearing them feels huge!
This is Butterick 6872 View C slightly hacked bodice with the View A skirt? The pleats at the neckline have been folded out for a clean finish. This was something I did on my first version (unblogged I’m afraid) and have carried through onto this second version. Simply create the pleats on the tissue pattern piece then tape then flat!
It’s a fairly easy sew but getting a neat finish on the inner neckline corners where the sleeve elastic meets the square neckline is a little challenging.
My dress was worn out for my 39th birthday dinner, and dinner with fellow stitcher Marie and afternoon tea… so I think it’s safe to say it’s been well tested for eating in.
This is the size 14 with a lovely fit thanks to the princess seam panels. I could see it with a shirred back instead of the zipper for an easy to throw on style. And despite me teasing the sleeves, it’s quite elegant. That lovely square neckline and something about the skirt length too I think? The narrow hem ruffle makes it extra swishy.
My fabric features landscape scenes from some European city that I can’t quite identify. It’s a textured poly-crepe from Rainbow Fabrics that I picked up a while ago. My terrible habit is buying dark base fabrics with bright pops of colour that I can’t bring myself to wear in winter with tights (I prefer bright dresses in winter) so this is another that will only get worn in warmer months.
As mentioned, the shoulders are fitted with elastic around the sleeve head which is a fiddly but effective technique for a good puff sleeve and helps create that lovely square neckline. Infuriatingly after a couple of wears, I realised the elastic in one sleeve is looser than the other so it has a tendency to sit lower. I need to fix that!!
Sadly, put away in the wardrobe now until the new year…