Everyone loves a good pattern hack. Well check this one out.
This strappy top is loosely based on Simplicity 2362. I picked this pattern up at the V&A London meetup.
Now I’m sure those pockets are lovely in real life but I just couldn’t bring myself to use those lower bodice pieces. Enter the trusty gathered rectangle.
I could also see that the strap varieties on offer were all lovely. But why isn’t there an option for just a single spaghetti strap? It’s not like there’s a lot of dress to support weight-wise.
Finally, since I’d decided to turn this into a top rather than a dress I just couldn’t rationalise putting in a zip, so I cut the bodice on the fold and shirred the back.
The fabric used is a Liberty cotton I picked up quite some time ago and I did my very best to line up the fabric pattern placement as well as the pleats. I’m pretty happy with how I did.
(I feel like if you stare too long into the centre pleats you start to go a little cross-eyed anyway.)
Are you all looking at my chest now? Tut Tut.
This is EXACTLY the kind of top I love and have several RTW variations in my wardrobe already. I may have made this a touch too long though, at least compared to my other tops.
I’m totally making more of these. Definitely one in a plain colour (perhaps it’s time to break out my electric blue silk cotton?) – I mean look how great the pleats look on my toile:
My feedly app seems to be stacked full of new posts. So I can’t wait to catch up on everybody’s blog posts tomorrow during my commute! (Makes going to work a little easier.)
What a wonderful week! Did you have a good one too?
I went to London on Friday in preparation for the blogger meet up. And managed to cram in plenty for a two-day trip.
Friday I popped into the Village Haberdashery and cooed over the coloured chambray, the independent sewing patterns on the colourful racks and also the cutie little baby bouncing away in the corner. I may have left with two little treats… the Belladone pattern by Deer and Doe and the Darling Ranges pattern by Megan Nielsen.
Then I popped over to Berwick St. The shops there are a little more expensive but is chock full with beautiful high end fabrics. I couldn’t let myself buy any yardage when the fabric I was most attracted to was £55 a metre. So instead I bought two little lace letter As to appliqué onto my sewing.
Finally, I popped into the wonderfully stocked Shaukat with floor to ceiling Liberty fabrics. Even though the prices are a little more friendly I didn’t want to use up all my spending money for the weekend in one go. I treated myself to a metre of the Kussman fabric from the newest collection. It has tiny shetland ponies in fun pop colours!
I had a really fantastic catch up with my friends that night, with dinner at Gastronomica in Plimico and a few drinks afterwards. Perhaps I stayed out a little later than planned but it was definitely worth it.
Saturday morning, the meetup at Goldhawk Road kicked off with a group of early birds having a coffee together before meeting the full group. There were 39 of us and Claire was doing a great job of getting everyone organised. Kat helped with name badges and there was a great mix of familiar and new faces to be seen!
I did better than last time than and made it into every single shop down Goldhawk Road, but I still didn’t make it into Shepherd’s Bush Market! I let myself buy a 3m bundle of Liberty lawn and some high quality striped bias-binding.
We had a wonderful lunch and swap during the afternoon where I walked away with 2m of deliciously soft moss crepe that says Valentino on the selvedge (gasp could it be?) and this kick ass sewing pattern. Hello Georgeous!
And for the meet up I wore a new dress! It’s another Simplicity 2444 in navy with white scallop shells and polka dots. It’s so fun and walks that perfect line of cute but not too cutsie!
I added a collar in the hopes of being a Jessica Day lookalike but ahem, no it did not suit me in the slightest (and so despite being some of the neatest bias binding sewing I’ve ever done, I unpicked the collar).
I did a full lining again and lowered the neckline a smidge. And I used an invisible zipper this time, making the effort to enclose it within my lining too so it looks almost as good inside out.
I know I’ve been so late posting this that it’s almost the weekend again!!
To everyone who was at the meet up. Thanks for being lovely. I had a great time catching up with sewists I already knew and I got to meet lots of awesome new folk too!