Theres something magical about pink and red together. It shouldn’t work but it totally does. And there’s something magical about this jersey. It’s another fabric that we got for a work project (out next week) and I ended up buying my own, obsessed with it!! Its such good quality, it had to be done. I wore the top to the office on a particularly bloated and tired day and someone told me I looked great. That made me like the magical top even more. Funny how easy swayed I am!
The jersey is thick enough to sit smoothly on the body but light enough to still feel like a t-shirt, it’s also holding colour perfectly after a few washes and showing no signs of wear. It’s from Bloomsbury Square linked here and is nearly sold out. There’s a similar fabric here at Cornish Haberdashery and also here at Bobbins and Buttons! I’m pretty chuffed with my stripe matching and overlocking/top-stitching. As you can see below I always try and land my twin needle stitches just on the edge of the folded under seam allowance so it looks like a cover-stitched finish… until the day I can afford one. I also added to heat transfer patches to the chest I got from China because the colours match perfectly!
Back to the top! This is my fourth version of M7322 but first blogged. Sorry about that. But all four are striped and all matched at the side seams, sleeve seams and magically on some of the armhole. You can achieve armhole matching too if you use this pattern and an evenly stripe fabric. The armhole and sleeve are the perfect gradient/curve to ease the stripes together. Intrigued? Read on
On many patterns the sleeve head is aggressively shaped, curving at an incline that doesn’t match the gentle curve of the armhole. Does that make sense? But not this one.
First…. Use a stripe layout, matching the underarm points of the front and back bodice and sleeves with the same part of the stripe. Sew your bodices together and your sleeve seams, matching your stripes. You’ll ned to pin every stripe together if you want a flawless match. Now everything should start to come together ready to make the sleeves…
Turn both your sleeves and bodice WS out and mark the seam allowance at the armhole in air-erasable or water-soluble marker. You should be able to match the first few visible stripes on the front bodice above the sleeve seam as you see above.
In all your stripe matching here is a quick note, you’re not aligning the stripes RST, just matching points at the seam line if that makes sense. The stripes won’t always match in the seam allowance area. The goal is to cross perfectly at the seam line. Pin both horizontally and vertically then quickly tack stitch this area of the armhole by hand if you want guaranteed success.
Here’s a peek of the top out on a day trip to Salt’s Mill in Saltaire. This amazing historic town was custom built by the mill owner so his workers had somewhere to live. The area is now grade listed and the mill is the home to a David Hockney gallery and amazing cafe plus lots more. As well as the mill we like walking by the canal, stopping at the barge that sells ice cream and visiting the park! It’s a great day out. Ahhh how much I already miss summer!! Watch this space for a cheeky kitten top…
And I’m back!!
In a short summary, I was locked out of my blog over Christmas (I hate you Go Daddy) and then have been really really struggling to get photos of my finished makes during this horrible winter. But now I’m breaking through this by getting something shot and up on the blog, even if the photos are quite as I’d like.
This is a Dixie DIY ballet dress. It was a fantastically quick and easy make which is perfect for my hectic schedule at the minute.
The fabric is a Liberty jersey from Abakhan Fabrics that I picked up online. As always the quality of Liberty fabrics was exceptional. It’s a little spongy, medium-weight and with lovely vivid colours.
I top-stitched all the hems with my twin needle and used my overlocker to construct everything. The whole dress took maybe two hours in total.
So there we go. The silence is broken! I’ll be back again soon with something new.
Yeeehaw! I’m back with another finished make.
It’s not as all singing and dancing as the last dress but please don’t hold that against me.
This is actually a dress I made last year but for some reason never got round to blogging about it!
The pattern is the Dixie DIY Ballet Dress. Super simple and easy to sew knit-dress. It has three-quarter length sleeves, scoop neck and semi-circle skirt. Available as a PDF for instant download (cue lots of printing, cutting and gluing).
Hmmmm you might say, this pattern looks mightily similar to the Kitschycoo Lady Skater pattern. Well I thought that too. Didn’t seem to be that much in it so I pretty much just took a gamble on the Dixie version.
I used this brilliant jersey knit with horse print that I bought when I saw a fellow blogger’s (sadly she’s stopped blogging) day-to-night dress. It’s from the incomparable Fabricland. If you haven’t looked at that site, brave yourself before you click through. WOOOEEEEE!
Here are a few more details: I constructed this on my Toyota machine using a zigzag stitch and finished the seams on my old babylock (told you it was made a while ago). I then turned all my hems under and stitched to finish them.
I like wearing it with a belt so you can’t see all the misshapen half horses at the waist seam. The waist is just a little high on me but I am pretty short-waisted so wonder how it might sit on regular people.
I wasn’t keen on the shape of this dress for a long time but it’s just so bloody comfy and warm to wear. I’m sure I’ll be making another one soon!