This is my favourite Minerva make to date! (I know I said that about the last one).
It all came together perfectly – a lovely pattern, this delicious viscose and a weekend of uninterrupted sewing!
I won’t lie; it wasn’t plain sailing getting started. I had to make three toiles of the bodice for Butterick 6582 to account for my tiny shoulders, hollow chest, short stature and slightly padded tummy. But I cracked it and started to get really excited about how this was going to turn out.
For one the fabric has a beautiful print. Also using viscose gives a swish and drama to the skirt and creates softer gathering at the shoulders. The fabric cut and sewed perfectly and never once tried to slink off my sewing table mid-construction. I do think this pattern would look as good in a more structured fabric so don’t rule it out if you’re not keen on viscose.
While I’m not sure the instructions provide the simplest way to construct the bodice (I’m always suspicious when they involve slipstitching even if it’s just for a tiny amount), the overall process and snappy-looking facing does create a nice clean finish inside and out.
Here are some vital statistics: I used a fine needle and standard black thread. And as ever, I hemmed by machine as I’m not one for sitting quietly and hand-sewing when there’s a chance to get a dress done quicker! The kit contains a lovely lightweight interfacing which is just right for this viscose; pairing the right weight interfacing with the right fabric is something I’m really keen on. You also get the pattern included and 2.5m of fabric to cater for the full skirted option on the envelope (plus a black invisible zipper).
Finally, this isn’t in my kit but might be something you’re interested in. I made a little belt to go with my dress using an old belt buckle I had and a rivet making set. It’s relatively simple to do if you can handle a bit of math! I’ll be talking a bit more about how I did this over on my blog in a few days.