Don’t be shady, be a Zadie

Hello everyone!! It’s been a lovely sunny day here but a little brisk. I hope you’re all warm and cosy in your sewing rooms.

I’ve just finished my first week of driving to work. Trains to Stockport aren’t the most efficient or cheap so by driving I’m now saving lots of money (that I can spend on fabric) and lots of time (that I can use for sewing).

Today I wanted to share pics of my finished Zadie dress by Tilly and The Buttons. The team were sweet enough to send me a copy at the start of the year when we featured it in the mag.

Look at the lovely diamond seaming and deep pockets!! The cap sleeve option was my immediate preference. Just by the way the seam lines match up with the bodice.

There isn’t waist seam all around so you don’t get a really snug fit but I tapered the side seams a little to help. Other than that I made no adjustments to the size 4.

I bought two matching weights of ponte from Jack’s Fabrics in Leeds market. There was a gorgeous turquoise but it was much thinner than the rest of the ponte which seemed like a recipe for disaster.

Given the unusual construction I had to read the instructions but naturally they were pretty flawless. The only thing I had to work out for myself is how to overlock the insides. That was a mixed success.

The neckband is my best yet. Tilly suggests the best stitch length and width for a subtle zigzag that still makes a secure seam. I used teal ribbon to stabilise my seams too.

Not much else to say other than I might go back for the turquoise and make a solid version with long sleeves! Are you going to try Zadie? Let me know in the comments!!

BONUS PICTURES

I was asked to share some inside pics to show my overlooking. It’s a little ropey as my thread tension was a little off working with the multiple layers.

Back of armhole first. Overlock the sleeve hem. Overlock the underarm. Sew the sleeve then overlock each side of the raglan. Press SA down and hem underarm. Topstitch catching the SA at the intersection to secure.

Front of armhole. Same as back but a little smidgen of contrast colour SA shows… not from the outside of course.

Waist seam point. I overlocked the two layers together stopping close to the v (above and below) but couldn’t get right on top due to changing layers.

Pocket was easy peasy to overlock. Same as the side seams!

You may also like

13 Comments

  1. Your version may just have nudged me into buying this pattern – it’s darling!
    Also, where are those super-cute shoes from?

  2. Great dress! I just cut out mine and since you say the overlocking wasn’t so easy I would love for you to share some more of your insight? Do I need to pay special attention at some points? How did you do it on the cap sleeves? You can probably see the overlock seam ends, right? I was going to coverstitch the sleeves and then align them with the bust seams, did you do that too? With all the pivot points you probably zigzagged and then overlocked?
    Would love to hear from you!
    Nina

      1. Wow, that would be amazing! I just finished the first side panel – man those pivot points are a PITA! I am quite uncertain how to finish the inside, I am so used to just overlocking everything. I think this is yet the first stretch garment I ever sewed with just my normal sewing machine. But hey, it looks ok up until now 😉
        Thanks a lot in advance for the pics 🙂

  3. I’ve been on the fence about making a Zadie to be honest and I’m a HUGE Tilly fan 🙂 – I think I have just about all her patterns but I stopped at this one because I’m a little concerned it just wouldn’t do anything for my shape – busty and boxy 🙂 Yours is the best I’ve seen yet so it’s encouraging me 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *