I’ve been chained to my sewing room table for days but instead of sewing for myself I’m still chugging away on my best friend’s wedding dress. It’s nearly ready but the hours of hand sewing are still etched in my memory. Only a few weeks to go!
In the mean time I’m happy to share this cheeky dress. Originally sewn in 2016 I made this dress rather big so during last year’s Sewing Weekender I took it in all over. It’s taken me a year to blog it but it’s so much fun to wear.
The dress is a Threadcount pattern that appeared on Sewing Made Simple magazine a couple of year’s back with sweetheart neckline, gathered skirt and optional cap sleeves. The dress comes together a little oddly with grown on facings at the sides of the neckline and a facing piece attached to the centre neckline. It looks neat inside but was a funny way to put things together. It was a head scratcher for how to overlock neatly so I just finish each edge individually.
I made the XS but there is a lot of ease so I had to grade down by guess work to fit a 36″ bust. I took in a bit at the sides, a lot at the princess seams and some at the centre back. The pattern has gathering only at the centre front of the skirt but I think that would make the wearer look portly adding bulk at a commonly rounded area on most ladies! As you can see I spread the gathers evenly.
My fabric is the real star of the piece. At first glance this pretty blue stretch denim looks like a simple abstract floral print but as you look closer you see charming cat faces!! Secret cats hiding amongst the flowers!! It’s the perfect mix of shades of blue too. Eeek.
This medium-weight denim was nestled in a bargain bin at Abakhan and there was a large piece I split with my boss who is a fellow cat lady. This meant it was priced by it’s weight and a total bargain. For an unlined dress is just passable but I had to reduce a lot of bulk from the waist seam to help ease the zipper area.