That’s right! I’m still here. Just slightly delayed in posting.
I wanted to post earlier but have been working hard on an odd little project.
IT’S NEARLY HALLOWEEEEEEEEEN!!!!
Ahem. And as the resident family seamstress I was called upon for costume duty.
I’ve mentioned my younger brother, Little Fro, before.
Well he came up with a genius costume idea for his “super-villains party”. Look away if you’re easily frightened.
This was going to be great fun to do I thought…
LF provided me with two suits; a gross beige one and a serious black business one. He’d got them from a charity shop near him. He also got two shirts; one pink and flamboyant and a more somber dark stripe. And to cap it off two ties; one paisley pattern the other blood-red.
The tie was the easiest.
I cut it down the middle and stitched it down on top of the other with a mad zig zag stitch.
Next up was the jacket. I marked the centre backs of each and then cut including seam allowance, right up and through the collars. I had to keep reminding myself which side had to be light and which dark as that affected which side of the centre back my seam allowance should be. I stitched the centre backs together from the edge of the collar to the vent from the beige jacket. I then fudged a vent in the black jacket. I felt LF could probably use some give in the butt area.
The collar was tricky. I essentially had to flip the seam allowance so it was pointing towards me. That way when the collar was folded over it wouldn’t show on the outside edge. I had to grade the seams right down to stop it from being bulky but it came out pretty good!
I thought the best I have to do is make the neck match up so he can do his top button up ready for his tie.
I matched the centre backs with seam allowance and sewed up the back and collar in the same fashion as the jacket. I had to move a lot of buttons on the front placket though to get them to fit through the new holes.
Finally the trousers. I’m most amazed how these turned out.
One thing not in our favour was that both pairs of trousers were slightly too small for LF.
I carefully unpicked the crotch seams and preserved the beige trousers zip front.
I didn’t want the mess of installing a brand new zipper so I just used the fabric surrounding the existing zipper to make a flap on the black trouser leg.
I aligned the zip first. Then stitched in place. Because I’d maintained the zip I felt I should maintain the button as well.
Then I rejoined the crotch and butt seams. I tried to use as little seam allowance as possible, did two lines of stitching AND rang my serger over it all for strength. If they were going to be tight I didn’t want to take chances.
In the end I thought it was rather neat and considering this was supposed to be a quick job I probably agonised over it waaaaay more than I should have!
Little Fro was so happy with the result. The trousers were too tight but that didn’t stop him dancing all night apparently.
He got ready at my flat so I could see the whole transformation and be on hand for any alterations.
His make up is totally creepy. You can see how he’s straightened and backcombed his ‘fro on one side and slicked it down on the other.
And here is a photo from the party where they made him pose in terrible lighting. Hoping I get sent a better photo of him in full glory.
Now I wasn’t going to let the suit go without a little try on myself, so for your enjoyment here I am looking like a loon in my glasses and no make up.