Just a quick post today.
I’ve got a foxy metallic pussy bow blouse to share.
I used a metallic chiffon from Jack’s Fabrics. It’s actually gold metallic on top of black chiffon.
It was £2 a metre so a mega bargain. I used a metre and a half for the blouse in total as I thought I better cut it all the same direction, in case the sheen was stronger one way.
And if it wasn’t obvious, I got my hair cut. And I don’t like it.
I mean it’s fine and non-offensive but it isn’t remotely like the photo I took the guy. It’s all just a bit too ragamuffin.
But my hair grows super quick so it’ll be back to normal fairly shortly.
Happy Sunday everyone!
Here’s a post about two things.
First up – This Sew Over It Pussy Bow Blouse!
I used a fab swan print polyester from Regency Rags.
You can probably see I’ve made a few adjustments.
I got rid of the centre front seam. That made it a little hard to attach the necktie so I added a little keyhole. Plus I tried adding some bust darts because my muslin turned out a little too floaty but they’re a touch high because I didn’t test them out before cracking into the swans.
But seriously I love it! It’s cute (albeit sheer) and it makes me feel a bit like Rose Byrne in Damages (which I’ve been binge watching). Plus it sort of reminds me of my Godson who has been learning animal noises and is obsessed with ducks. You say “All the ducks go…” and he screams “QUACK”. Mega cutes.
I’ve just finished another version in disco gold chiffon for going out in. I’ll see if I can get a photo without the metallics sunbeaming everywhere.
Second up! I’ve got something fun to share.
I’ve started an evening course in textile printing at Leeds Art College. I’m like totally an art student heehee!!
It’s a 10 week course covering:
- Heat transfer printing (disperse printing)
- Discharge printing (with basic dyeing)
- Screen printing with paper stencils
- Screen printing with photo emulsion stencils
- Hand painted prints
- PLUS I GET TO USE THE DIGITAL PRINTERS WOOOOOO!!!
Ahem… So weeks one and two were about heat set discharge printing where we used dyes and a 200 degree heat press to print on synthetic fabrics. We also got to play with resists, putting objects in the way between the dyes and fabric.
It works really well with geometric shapes. And I’ve got enough printed fabric to make two tops.
Next week we’re using paper stencils and screenprinting onto A2 pieces of cotton.
So I’ll update you again with my progress soon!