Happy weekend everyone! It’s a Bank Holiday here and we’ve kicked things off by cleaning the house and prepping for guests! I bought the hugest bunch of peonies (my absolute faves) and Jimi bought a crazy amount of crisps for everyone to eat. Tonight we’re ordering Thai takeaway to enjoy in the garden. I can’t wait!
While we were out running errands I got some photos of my recent Deer and Doe patterns Myosotis dress by the river. I have lost my sunglasses so forgive the squinting. The ones I’m wearing in one shot are Jimi’s so are too big for my head hahah.
I used the most beautiful textured cotton jacquard from Simply Fabrics in the canary yellow colourway. They have other colours like blue, red and green also. It’s got flowers on a crosshatch pattern, very abstract but attractive. It’s light but not thin, similar to a double gauze weight. Perfect for this dress pattern.
I made view A. I used size 36 all in the upper body and 40 at the waist downwards. I only had to do a small narrow shoulder adjustment fitting wise. I liked the ruffled hem and although I enjoy wearing half stand collars like the pattern included, I went for the neckline hack (Marie’s tutorial here) which is cleaner and better for floppy soft fabric. It took exactly 2m of fabric… Great except I’d bought 3m!! So will HAVE to make a fun yellow top in the future. What a tough life I lead.
It’s quite a boxy style and forgiving on a hot day or after a full meal, I’m growing less interested I’m jeans cutting into my tummy right now. The colour is a scroll stopper too. It’s instant sunshine! Thankfully I had the perfect yellow vintage buttons in my stash.
There’s plenty of gathering to get stuck into which I don’t mind as I find it quite therapeutic even if it does waste a lot of thread. And with only three buttonholes this would be a nice project for a beginner wanting to learn more.
As always, I didn’t read the instructions and whipped it up very quickly as I’m a speedy sewist but you could enjoy slowly sewing this beauty if you like to take things steady.
This dress is flipping everywhere. I couldn’t actually believe how long ago the Myosotis was released! Thank goodness Marie egged me on to finally make it, what a smart cookie.
Theres something magical about pink and red together. It shouldn’t work but it totally does. And there’s something magical about this jersey. It’s another fabric that we got for a work project (out next week) and I ended up buying my own, obsessed with it!! Its such good quality, it had to be done. I wore the top to the office on a particularly bloated and tired day and someone told me I looked great. That made me like the magical top even more. Funny how easy swayed I am!
The jersey is thick enough to sit smoothly on the body but light enough to still feel like a t-shirt, it’s also holding colour perfectly after a few washes and showing no signs of wear. It’s from Bloomsbury Square linked here and is nearly sold out. There’s a similar fabric here at Cornish Haberdashery and also here at Bobbins and Buttons! I’m pretty chuffed with my stripe matching and overlocking/top-stitching. As you can see below I always try and land my twin needle stitches just on the edge of the folded under seam allowance so it looks like a cover-stitched finish… until the day I can afford one. I also added to heat transfer patches to the chest I got from China because the colours match perfectly!
Back to the top! This is my fourth version of M7322 but first blogged. Sorry about that. But all four are striped and all matched at the side seams, sleeve seams and magically on some of the armhole. You can achieve armhole matching too if you use this pattern and an evenly stripe fabric. The armhole and sleeve are the perfect gradient/curve to ease the stripes together. Intrigued? Read on
On many patterns the sleeve head is aggressively shaped, curving at an incline that doesn’t match the gentle curve of the armhole. Does that make sense? But not this one.
First…. Use a stripe layout, matching the underarm points of the front and back bodice and sleeves with the same part of the stripe. Sew your bodices together and your sleeve seams, matching your stripes. You’ll ned to pin every stripe together if you want a flawless match. Now everything should start to come together ready to make the sleeves…
Turn both your sleeves and bodice WS out and mark the seam allowance at the armhole in air-erasable or water-soluble marker. You should be able to match the first few visible stripes on the front bodice above the sleeve seam as you see above.
In all your stripe matching here is a quick note, you’re not aligning the stripes RST, just matching points at the seam line if that makes sense. The stripes won’t always match in the seam allowance area. The goal is to cross perfectly at the seam line. Pin both horizontally and vertically then quickly tack stitch this area of the armhole by hand if you want guaranteed success.
Here’s a peek of the top out on a day trip to Salt’s Mill in Saltaire. This amazing historic town was custom built by the mill owner so his workers had somewhere to live. The area is now grade listed and the mill is the home to a David Hockney gallery and amazing cafe plus lots more. As well as the mill we like walking by the canal, stopping at the barge that sells ice cream and visiting the park! It’s a great day out. Ahhh how much I already miss summer!! Watch this space for a cheeky kitten top…