Small ones, medium ones, giant ones.
So it’s not surprising I bought 5 types of polka dot fabric at the Birmingham meet up!
This is what I did with my three metres of black and white large polka dot satin fabric.
First up I wanted to make a Colette Truffle dress. I made FOUR toiles trying to get the fit right.
I got the bodice fitted after two toiles because I used a TNT pattern to get the sizing and darts placement right.
I just could not for the life of me, get the skirt to fit. So I gave up.
I desperately wanted the flounce but settled for a gathered skirt that I drafted myself.
I teamed the dress with gold glittery shoes and a black glitter headband.
I’m pleased with the fit in the back. I usually have a lot of gaping around the upper back but nailed it this time and my zipper is pretty neat.
There is a little bit of gaping around the neckline but think that’s because it’s a touch too low for me combined with such a drapey fabric. Also I normally love gathered waist dresses but after a few too many cakes lately I’m not sure it’s as flattering as it could have been. I’m too ashamed of my handstitching to show you inside I’m afraid.
And then because I didn’t need the extra fabric I’d bought for the flounce I made I had a metre left over!
Hello New Look 6808!
The best bit about making another one of these tops is that I knew I could fix the sleeves. I did this in two ways. I altered my pattern pieces to lower the bottom of the armhole on both pieces but increase the armhole curve on the back piece by a few millimetres.
Then I sewed the sleeves in flat! This was a revelation!!
I knew you could sew sleeves into jersey tops/dresses in flat but I wasn’t sure about woven garments.
A quick rummage around my google reader unearthed Sunni’s confirmation that you can!
I made the gathers a bit more pleat like on this version. Though it’s hard to see in this photo.
The top fits like a dream with room for a big fat dinner.
I’m soooo making 50 more of these.